When two French immigrant brothers, Francis de Sales and Michael Verdin, came to the Cincinnati, Ohio area from Alsace, France in 1835, they were determined to use their iron forging skills to build clocks in America. The two brothers immediately established a tower clock business in the famous Over-the-Rhine neighborhood in Cincinnati, where their first documented installation was a clock and bell equipment at Old St. Mary’s Church in 1842.
Six generations and 175 years later, The Verdin Company has grown from that modest beginning to become the industry leader in bells, bell equipment, restoration, digital carillons, and clocks. One of the nation’s oldest family-owned manufacturers, Verdin is known for innovation – including the electric clock winder in 1910, the first electric bell ringer in 1927, the largest swinging cast bell in America, and the only traveling bell foundry in the world. With a national sales force, a dedicated team of service professionals, and international recognition for craftsmanship, Verdin has over 55,000 installations in churches, universities, municipalities, and businesses across the country.
In the tradition of the last several generations The Verdin Company is led by three Verdin cousins Tim and Bob Verdin and Jill Verdin Crew. They learned the business from, and were inspired by, their fathers after that generation took ownership from their grandfathers. Tim, Bob and Jill are the 6th generation of our privately owned business which was founded in 1842.
Quality products and solid customer relationships are Verdin’s most important goals. After more than 175 years, The Verdin Company continues to have an impact on the industry as a pioneer and innovator.